[VOTE] Accept donation of Avro Rust implementation

[VOTE] Accept donation of Avro Rust implementation

Ismaël Mejía
Dear all,

The developers of
https://github.com/flavray/avro-rs/

have been in touch with some members of the Apache Avro Project Management
Committee (PMC). Based on these discussions, it is being proposed to donate
this
Avro Rust implementation into the Apache Avro project to continue
developing it
together with the Apache Avro community following the Apache Software
Foundation
(ASF) guidelines.

This vote is to determine if the Avro PMC is in favor of accepting this
donation. If the vote passes, the PMC and the authors of the code will work
together to complete the ASF IP Clearance process
(http://incubator.apache.org/ip-clearance/) and import the Rust
implementation
into the Avro codebase.

+1 : Accept contribution of Rust implementation
 0 : No opinion
-1 : Reject contribution because...

Here is my vote: +1

The vote will be open for at least 72 hours.

Thanks,
Ismaël

Re: [VOTE] Accept donation of Avro Rust implementation

Driesprong, Fokko-2
Cool stuff! Checked the repo, and it looks very good!

+1 (binding) from my side!

Cheers, Fokko

Op ma 24 mei 2021 om 11:34 schreef Ismaël Mejía <[hidden email]>:

> Dear all,
>
> The developers of
> https://github.com/flavray/avro-rs/
>
> have been in touch with some members of the Apache Avro Project Management
> Committee (PMC). Based on these discussions, it is being proposed to donate
> this
> Avro Rust implementation into the Apache Avro project to continue
> developing it
> together with the Apache Avro community following the Apache Software
> Foundation
> (ASF) guidelines.
>
> This vote is to determine if the Avro PMC is in favor of accepting this
> donation. If the vote passes, the PMC and the authors of the code will work
> together to complete the ASF IP Clearance process
> (http://incubator.apache.org/ip-clearance/) and import the Rust
> implementation
> into the Avro codebase.
>
> +1 : Accept contribution of Rust implementation
>  0 : No opinion
> -1 : Reject contribution because...
>
> Here is my vote: +1

> Thanks,
> Ismaël

Re: [VOTE] Accept donation of Avro Rust implementation

Micah Kornfield
+1 (non-binding) on accepting the donation.

On a technical/process level.  I think Rust community in general has some
different expectations with respect to tooling/developer workflow that
differs from a lot of apache projects.  [1] highlights some process changes
that we recently went through with the Rust Arrow.  It would be good to
take these into account when doing the actual code import.

Discussing process/release requirements up front might save some angst down
the road.

-Micah

[1]
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1TyrUP8_UWXqk97a8Hvb1d0UYWigch0HAephIjW7soSI/edit

On Mon, May 24, 2021 at 7:33 AM Driesprong, Fokko <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Cool stuff! Checked the repo, and it looks very good!
>
> +1 (binding) from my side!
>
> Cheers, Fokko
>
> Op ma 24 mei 2021 om 11:34 schreef Ismaël Mejía <[hidden email]>:
>
> > Dear all,
> >
> > The developers of
> > https://github.com/flavray/avro-rs/
> >
> > have been in touch with some members of the Apache Avro Project
> Management
> > Committee (PMC). Based on these discussions, it is being proposed to
> donate
> > this
> > Avro Rust implementation into the Apache Avro project to continue
> > developing it
> > together with the Apache Avro community following the Apache Software
> > Foundation
> > (ASF) guidelines.
> >
> > This vote is to determine if the Avro PMC is in favor of accepting this
> > donation. If the vote passes, the PMC and the authors of the code will
> work
> > together to complete the ASF IP Clearance process
> > (http://incubator.apache.org/ip-clearance/) and import the Rust
> > implementation
> > into the Avro codebase.
> >
> > +1 : Accept contribution of Rust implementation
> >  0 : No opinion
> > -1 : Reject contribution because...
> >
> > Here is my vote: +1
> >
> > The vote will be open for at least 72 hours.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Ismaël

Re: [VOTE] Accept donation of Avro Rust implementation

Ryan Blue-2
+1

I think we should work with them to find a release model that works, too. I
would highly recommend keeping the releases decoupled so languages can move
at their own pace.

Ryan Blue

Re: [VOTE] Accept donation of Avro Rust implementation

Michael A. Smith
+1 (non-binding)

Does someone know how much effort it would be to add consistent build.sh
features to the rust implementation to ensure that the fundamental dev
process is the same across langs?

Less important, but nice to have: interop tests.

On Mon, May 24, 2021 at 12:34 Micah Kornfield <[hidden email]> wrote:

> +1 (non-binding) on accepting the donation.
>
> On a technical/process level.  I think Rust community in general has some
> different expectations with respect to tooling/developer workflow that
> differs from a lot of apache projects.  [1] highlights some process changes
> that we recently went through with the Rust Arrow.  It would be good to
> take these into account when doing the actual code import.

> Discussing process/release requirements up front might save some angst down
> the road.
>
> -Micah
>
> [1]
>
> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1TyrUP8_UWXqk97a8Hvb1d0UYWigch0HAephIjW7soSI/edit
>
> On Mon, May 24, 2021 at 7:33 AM Driesprong, Fokko <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > Cool stuff! Checked the repo, and it looks very good!
> >
> > +1 (binding) from my side!
> >
> > Cheers, Fokko
> >
> > Op ma 24 mei 2021 om 11:34 schreef Ismaël Mejía <[hidden email]>:
> >
> > > Dear all,
> > >
> > > The developers of
> > > https://github.com/flavray/avro-rs/
> > >
> > > have been in touch with some members of the Apache Avro Project
> > Management
> > > Committee (PMC). Based on these discussions, it is being proposed to
> > donate
> > > this
> > > Avro Rust implementation into the Apache Avro project to continue
> > > developing it
> > > together with the Apache Avro community following the Apache Software
> > > Foundation
> > > (ASF) guidelines.
> > >
> > > This vote is to determine if the Avro PMC is in favor of accepting this
> > > donation. If the vote passes, the PMC and the authors of the code will
> > work
> > > together to complete the ASF IP Clearance process
> > > (http://incubator.apache.org/ip-clearance/) and import the Rust
> > > implementation
> > > into the Avro codebase.
> > >
> > > +1 : Accept contribution of Rust implementation
> > >  0 : No opinion
> > > -1 : Reject contribution because...
> > >
> > > Here is my vote: +1
> > >
> > > The vote will be open for at least 72 hours.
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > > Ismaël

Re: [VOTE] Accept donation of Avro Rust implementation

Ryan Skraba
+1 and I'm pretty enthusiastic about this!

The Apache Arrow experience is really good information -- it's good to
know that some of the road bumps around releases and expectations have
already been thought about.

We've talked about (1) decoupling language releases and (2) having a
more official release policy (for release cadence, supported releases,
around semantic versioning, etc).  This sounds like the right time to
align around our expectations for other languages as well.

I'm out of office for the next week, but I'll be watching the vote!
Thanks for the rust devs and Ismael and everyone for bringing this
together!

Ryan

On Tue, May 25, 2021 at 12:32 AM Michael A. Smith <[hidden email]> wrote:

> +1 (non-binding)
>
> Does someone know how much effort it would be to add consistent build.sh
> features to the rust implementation to ensure that the fundamental dev
> process is the same across langs?
>
> Less important, but nice to have: interop tests.
>
> On Mon, May 24, 2021 at 12:34 Micah Kornfield <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > +1 (non-binding) on accepting the donation.
> >
> > On a technical/process level.  I think Rust community in general has some
> > different expectations with respect to tooling/developer workflow that
> > differs from a lot of apache projects.  [1] highlights some process changes
> > that we recently went through with the Rust Arrow.  It would be good to
> > take these into account when doing the actual code import.

> > Discussing process/release requirements up front might save some angst down
> > the road.
> >
> > -Micah
> >
> > [1]
> >
> > https://docs.google.com/document/d/1TyrUP8_UWXqk97a8Hvb1d0UYWigch0HAephIjW7soSI/edit
> >
> > On Mon, May 24, 2021 at 7:33 AM Driesprong, Fokko <[hidden email]>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > Cool stuff! Checked the repo, and it looks very good!
> > >
> > > +1 (binding) from my side!
> > >
> > > Cheers, Fokko

> > > Management
> > > donate

> > > work

Re: [VOTE] Accept donation of Avro Rust implementation

Ismaël Mejía
I'm happy to announce that we have unanimously approved to accept the
donation of avro-rs as the Apache Avro Rust implementation.

There are 6 approving votes, 4 of which are binding:
* Fokko Driesprong
* Ryan Blue
* Ryan Skraba
* Ismaël Mejía