Typo in the docs?

Andy Chambers
Hey Folks,

The docs about the "fixed" type seem a little confused.

It says "Fixed uses the type name "fixed" and supports two attributes:" and then goes on to list 3 attributes, including "aliases" whose description says "a JSON array of strings, providing alternate names for this enum (optional)." which seems to be copy/pasted from the enum type.

I'm guessing that aliases is not really a valid attribute for the fixed type right?

Cheers,
Andy

Re: Typo in the docs?

Jeremy Fine
I think they mean that fixed REQUIRES two attributes. I'm pretty sure 'alias' is valid for all types. But you're right, the docs there could use a bit of cleaning up. But what docs don't?

--

Intent Media

Jeremy Fine
Software Engineer

315 Hudson Street, 9th Floor, New York, NY 10013
We've been named a Crain's "Best Place to Work" for three years running!

Re: Typo in the docs?

Doug Cutting-2
Aliases are only applicable to named types and fields.

Named types are records, enums and fixed:

The fixed documentation that says, "supports two attributes" is indeed confusing.  We should perhaps change it to something like "supports the following attributes".   Also, the "namespace" attribute should be noted as optional.  Please file a Jira issue.

Thanks,

Doug