Discuss regarding upcoming 1.7.8 release for Apache Avro

Discuss regarding upcoming 1.7.8 release for Apache Avro

Suraj Acharya-2
Hi Community,

I am wrapping up the license issue with AVRO 1.7.8 [1]. I will shortly
begin the release for 1.7.8[2].
If there are any issues you want to see in 1.7.8 and that is not present in
the branch-1.7 [3] please comment on the release ticket for 1.7.8[2].
Backports for a 2-year-old branch are very difficult, cumbersome and in
some cases major changes. I will make an honest effort to backport changes
to the branch once comments are made.
If you know the backport(cherry-pick) won't be clean, please submit a pull
request [4] so that it will make the release work a lot easier and
backports accurate.

If you have any questions feel free to reply to this or open a new thread.

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/AVRO-2023
[2] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/AVRO-1998
[3] https://s.apache.org/avro-branch-1.7
[4] https://github.com/apache/avro/compare

Suraj Acharya

Re: Discuss regarding upcoming 1.7.8 release for Apache Avro

Sean Busbey
It would be useful to do a check of what's currently tagged in JIRA as
being in 1.7 but isn't actually in git. I think I have stuff somewhere
for doing this check, let me dig it out.

busbey

Re: Discuss regarding upcoming 1.7.8 release for Apache Avro

suraj acharya
Hi Sean,
Were you able to find the script which will help with this?
I think all required changes have been completed and merged on branch-1.7.

Suraj Acharya

-Suraj Acharya

On Tue, Jun 13, 2017 at 9:24 AM, Sean Busbey <[hidden email]> wrote:

> It would be useful to do a check of what's currently tagged in JIRA as
> being in 1.7 but isn't actually in git. I think I have stuff somewhere
> for doing this check, let me dig it out.
>
> On Mon, Jun 12, 2017 at 8:39 PM, Suraj Acharya <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Hi Community,
> >
> > I am wrapping up the license issue with AVRO 1.7.8 [1]. I will shortly
> > begin the release for 1.7.8[2].
> > If there are any issues you want to see in 1.7.8 and that is not present
> in
> > the branch-1.7 [3] please comment on the release ticket for 1.7.8[2].
> > Backports for a 2-year-old branch are very difficult, cumbersome and in
> > some cases major changes. I will make an honest effort to backport
> changes
> > to the branch once comments are made.
> > If you know the backport(cherry-pick) won't be clean, please submit a
> pull
> > request [4] so that it will make the release work a lot easier and
> > backports accurate.
> >
> > If you have any questions feel free to reply to this or open a new
> thread.
> >

> > [1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/AVRO-2023
> > [2] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/AVRO-1998
> > [3] https://s.apache.org/avro-branch-1.7
> > [4] https://github.com/apache/avro/compare
> >
> > Suraj Acharya

> busbey

Re: Discuss regarding upcoming 1.7.8 release for Apache Avro

Sean Busbey
Unfortunately I don't have it as a script.

I have a series of commands I do over in HBase for each release. I wrote
them down the first time I worked through things over in JIRA:

https://s.apache.org/rJsw

busbey

Re: Discuss regarding upcoming 1.7.8 release for Apache Avro

suraj acharya
Just information.
So those scripts didn't work exactly work for me.
I did a manual check and cleaned up a few jiras.
The ones that need a cherry-pick are :

AVRO-1719

AVRO-1683

AVRO-1656

I will do that. And then use that as the base for the release.

Suraj

-Suraj Acharya

On Thu, Jul 20, 2017 at 8:37 AM, Sean Busbey <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Unfortunately I don't have it as a script.
>
> I have a series of commands I do over in HBase for each release. I wrote
> them down the first time I worked through things over in JIRA:
>
> https://s.apache.org/rJsw
>
> On Thu, Jul 20, 2017 at 12:51 AM, suraj acharya <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > Hi Sean,
> > Were you able to find the script which will help with this?
> > I think all required changes have been completed and merged on
> branch-1.7.
> >
> > Suraj Acharya
> >
> > -Suraj Acharya
> >
> > On Tue, Jun 13, 2017 at 9:24 AM, Sean Busbey <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >
> > > It would be useful to do a check of what's currently tagged in JIRA as
> > > being in 1.7 but isn't actually in git. I think I have stuff somewhere
> > > for doing this check, let me dig it out.

> shortly
> > present
> > > in
> in
> > > changes
> > > pull

> > > thread.

> > > --
> > > busbey

> busbey

Re: Discuss regarding upcoming 1.7.8 release for Apache Avro

Sean Busbey
sounds great. Thanks for driving releases Suraj!

--
busbey