Avro 1.10.0 release / branch cut

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Avro 1.10.0 release / branch cut

Ismaël Mejía
Hello everyone,

As discussed previously [1] we intend to do the Avro 1.10.0 release on
May so I wanted to propose to cut the branch the next May 15th. The
idea is that in the following weeks we work hard on reviews and issue
triage and maybe the latest dependency updates. Once the branch is cut
we let then some days to stabilize the release branch (hopefully 1-2
weeks) and then go with the vote.

If you have issues you want to mark as critical to be part of the
release (e.g. security related or data corruption) mark them with the
Fix Version: 1.10.0 field in JIRA and more important if you have
issues that you think won’t be able to make it in time please
unmark/untag them or mark them as version 1.11.0

This is the list of open issues for the release, so please go ahead
and help us finish/triage them.

https://issues.apache.org/jira/issues/?jql=project%20%3D%20AVRO%20AND%20status%20in%20(Open%2C%20%22In%20Progress%22%2C%20Reopened%2C%20%22Patch%20Available%22)%20AND%20fixVersion%20%3D%201.10.0

Thanks, and good triage, don’t hesitate to email me or ping me in your
PRs./tickets to bring my attention on critical things for the release.

Best,
Ismaël
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Avro 1.10.0 release / branch cut

Ismaël Mejía
Previously in this thread I proposed to cut the release branch for Avro 1.10
on friday 15 May and let a period of 2 weeks after that for stabilization and
then start the vote for the release.

However I (as other people in the project) at this moment have less time than
expected so I would like to propose to postpone the branch cut and release two
weeks to give us some short extra time to finish pending reviews and clean up
stuff. New cut date May 29th.

I hope this does not change many people plans, please let me know if you have
any issues because of this and remember don't hesitate to ping me (hopefully) in
advance if you want to discuss any release specific issue.

Regards,
Ismaël

On Tue, Apr 28, 2020 at 10:02 AM Ismaël Mejía <[hidden email]> wrote:

>
> Hello everyone,
>
> As discussed previously [1] we intend to do the Avro 1.10.0 release on
> May so I wanted to propose to cut the branch the next May 15th. The
> idea is that in the following weeks we work hard on reviews and issue
> triage and maybe the latest dependency updates. Once the branch is cut
> we let then some days to stabilize the release branch (hopefully 1-2
> weeks) and then go with the vote.
>
> If you have issues you want to mark as critical to be part of the
> release (e.g. security related or data corruption) mark them with the
> Fix Version: 1.10.0 field in JIRA and more important if you have
> issues that you think won’t be able to make it in time please
> unmark/untag them or mark them as version 1.11.0
>
> This is the list of open issues for the release, so please go ahead
> and help us finish/triage them.
>
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/issues/?jql=project%20%3D%20AVRO%20AND%20status%20in%20(Open%2C%20%22In%20Progress%22%2C%20Reopened%2C%20%22Patch%20Available%22)%20AND%20fixVersion%20%3D%201.10.0
>
> Thanks, and good triage, don’t hesitate to email me or ping me in your
> PRs./tickets to bring my attention on critical things for the release.
>
> Best,
> Ismaël
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Avro 1.10.0 release / branch cut

Driesprong, Fokko-2
Sounds good Ismaël, thanks for the update.

We need to update the jetty which contains a CVE before cutting 1.10

Cheers, Fokko

Op wo 13 mei 2020 om 23:42 schreef Ismaël Mejía <[hidden email]>:

> Previously in this thread I proposed to cut the release branch for Avro
> 1.10
> on friday 15 May and let a period of 2 weeks after that for stabilization
> and
> then start the vote for the release.
>
> However I (as other people in the project) at this moment have less time
> than
> expected so I would like to propose to postpone the branch cut and release
> two
> weeks to give us some short extra time to finish pending reviews and clean
> up
> stuff. New cut date May 29th.
>
> I hope this does not change many people plans, please let me know if you
> have
> any issues because of this and remember don't hesitate to ping me
> (hopefully) in
> advance if you want to discuss any release specific issue.
>
> Regards,
> Ismaël
>
> On Tue, Apr 28, 2020 at 10:02 AM Ismaël Mejía <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Hello everyone,
> >
> > As discussed previously [1] we intend to do the Avro 1.10.0 release on
> > May so I wanted to propose to cut the branch the next May 15th. The
> > idea is that in the following weeks we work hard on reviews and issue
> > triage and maybe the latest dependency updates. Once the branch is cut
> > we let then some days to stabilize the release branch (hopefully 1-2
> > weeks) and then go with the vote.
> >
> > If you have issues you want to mark as critical to be part of the
> > release (e.g. security related or data corruption) mark them with the
> > Fix Version: 1.10.0 field in JIRA and more important if you have
> > issues that you think won’t be able to make it in time please
> > unmark/untag them or mark them as version 1.11.0
> >
> > This is the list of open issues for the release, so please go ahead
> > and help us finish/triage them.
> >
> >
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/issues/?jql=project%20%3D%20AVRO%20AND%20status%20in%20(Open%2C%20%22In%20Progress%22%2C%20Reopened%2C%20%22Patch%20Available%22)%20AND%20fixVersion%20%3D%201.10.0
> >
> > Thanks, and good triage, don’t hesitate to email me or ping me in your
> > PRs./tickets to bring my attention on critical things for the release.
> >
> > Best,
> > Ismaël
>
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Avro 1.10.0 release / branch cut

Ismaël Mejía
A quick update, the 1.10.0 branch was cut today.

There are only two pending issues and both are related to the release so we are
in good shape to go:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/issues/?jql=project%20%3D%20AVRO%20AND%20status%20in%20(Open%2C%20%22In%20Progress%22%2C%20Reopened%2C%20%22Patch%20Available%22)%20AND%20fixVersion%20%3D%201.10.0

I took the liberty and unassigned the Fix version from the following issues that
have been moving up as pending for more than 5 years now. If they have not been
fixed/merged for 5 years probably they won't be immediately urgent.

AVRO-1875 ability encode/decode byte arrays in Base64
AVRO-1646 null namespace within non-null is not print/parse consistent
with deeply nested records
AVRO-1543 libboost_zlib library is not detected but is required
AVRO-1521 Inconsistent behavior of Perl API with 'boolean' type
AVRO-1514 Clean up perl API dependencies
AVRO-1467 Schema resolution does not check record names
AVRO-1443 SpecificRecord builders should share more functionality with
GenericRecord builders
AVRO-1435 Convert avro-tools jar to be a bundle.
AVRO-1343 Python: validate too permissive on records with extra fields
AVRO-1284 Python: validation should be a method of Schema objects
AVRO-1265 Python: schema objects should support builder()
default-filling behavior
AVRO-1235 Avro does not handle corrupt records

I am going to let one week before doing the first RC so please help us test the
release branch to find regressions or issues and report them. Also don't
hesitate to ping me if there is any issue I should pay attention to.

The list of new features is this one in case you feel inclined to validate
those.
https://issues.apache.org/jira/issues/?jql=project%20%3D%20AVRO%20AND%20status%20in%20(Resolved%2C%20Closed)%20AND%20fixVersion%20%3D%201.10.0

Regards,
Ismaël Mejía

On Thu, May 14, 2020 at 8:42 AM Driesprong, Fokko <[hidden email]> wrote:

>
> Sounds good Ismaël, thanks for the update.
>
> We need to update the jetty which contains a CVE before cutting 1.10
>
> Cheers, Fokko
>
> Op wo 13 mei 2020 om 23:42 schreef Ismaël Mejía <[hidden email]>:
>
> > Previously in this thread I proposed to cut the release branch for Avro
> > 1.10
> > on friday 15 May and let a period of 2 weeks after that for stabilization
> > and
> > then start the vote for the release.
> >
> > However I (as other people in the project) at this moment have less time
> > than
> > expected so I would like to propose to postpone the branch cut and release
> > two
> > weeks to give us some short extra time to finish pending reviews and clean
> > up
> > stuff. New cut date May 29th.
> >
> > I hope this does not change many people plans, please let me know if you
> > have
> > any issues because of this and remember don't hesitate to ping me
> > (hopefully) in
> > advance if you want to discuss any release specific issue.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Ismaël
> >
> > On Tue, Apr 28, 2020 at 10:02 AM Ismaël Mejía <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > >
> > > Hello everyone,
> > >
> > > As discussed previously [1] we intend to do the Avro 1.10.0 release on
> > > May so I wanted to propose to cut the branch the next May 15th. The
> > > idea is that in the following weeks we work hard on reviews and issue
> > > triage and maybe the latest dependency updates. Once the branch is cut
> > > we let then some days to stabilize the release branch (hopefully 1-2
> > > weeks) and then go with the vote.
> > >
> > > If you have issues you want to mark as critical to be part of the
> > > release (e.g. security related or data corruption) mark them with the
> > > Fix Version: 1.10.0 field in JIRA and more important if you have
> > > issues that you think won’t be able to make it in time please
> > > unmark/untag them or mark them as version 1.11.0
> > >
> > > This is the list of open issues for the release, so please go ahead
> > > and help us finish/triage them.
> > >
> > >
> > https://issues.apache.org/jira/issues/?jql=project%20%3D%20AVRO%20AND%20status%20in%20(Open%2C%20%22In%20Progress%22%2C%20Reopened%2C%20%22Patch%20Available%22)%20AND%20fixVersion%20%3D%201.10.0
> > >
> > > Thanks, and good triage, don’t hesitate to email me or ping me in your
> > > PRs./tickets to bring my attention on critical things for the release.
> > >
> > > Best,
> > > Ismaël
> >