[Announce] Release of Avro-1.8.2

Suraj Acharya-2
It gives me great pleasure to announce the release of Avro 1.8.2!

Changes are listed at: https://s.apache.org/avro-release-note-1.8.2

This release can be downloaded from:
https://www.apache.org/dyn/closer.cgi/avro/

Java artifacts are available from Maven Central, Ruby artifacts are at
RubyGems, Python is at PyPI, JS at NPM.

Thanks to everyone for contributing and helping out.

Suraj Acharya

Re: [Announce] Release of Avro-1.8.2

Niels Basjes
Hi,

I know now that while fixing the bugs I should have committed them to both
the master and the 1.8 branch instead of 'just the master'.
Just diffing the change log of master and the 1.8 branch shows that this
mistake is made quite a large number of times and in both directions.

As a consequence the release notes (obviously based on the Jira tags) shows
many bugs/changes that are not present in the release.

How do we fix this properly?

Niels Basjes

On Thu, Jun 1, 2017 at 3:55 AM, Suraj Acharya <[hidden email]> wrote:

> It gives me great pleasure to announce the release of Avro 1.8.2!
>

> Changes are listed at: https://s.apache.org/avro-release-note-1.8.2
>

> This release can be downloaded from:
> https://www.apache.org/dyn/closer.cgi/avro/
>

> Java artifacts are available from Maven Central, Ruby artifacts are at
> RubyGems, Python is at PyPI, JS at NPM.
>

> Thanks to everyone for contributing and helping out.
>

> Suraj Acharya

Niels Basjes

Re: [Announce] Release of Avro-1.8.2

Sean Busbey
Update the jira to not have 1.8.2 in the fix versions. If we want to
get the changes in the 1.8 release line, I'd recommend reopening the
issues and cherry-picking to branch-1.8 then setting 1.8.3 as a fix
version.

busbey

Re: [Announce] Release of Avro-1.8.2

suraj acharya
Like Sean mentioned, changing the fixed version will help correcting the
Release Notes.
Once, we have some amount of fixes in, we can start making releases on a
cadence.

-Suraj Acharya

On Thu, Jun 1, 2017 at 10:47 AM, Sean Busbey <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Update the jira to not have 1.8.2 in the fix versions. If we want to
> get the changes in the 1.8 release line, I'd recommend reopening the
> issues and cherry-picking to branch-1.8 then setting 1.8.3 as a fix
> version.
>
> On Thu, Jun 1, 2017 at 4:20 AM, Niels Basjes <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I know now that while fixing the bugs I should have committed them to
> both
> > the master and the 1.8 branch instead of 'just the master'.
> > Just diffing the change log of master and the 1.8 branch shows that this
> > mistake is made quite a large number of times and in both directions.
> >
> > As a consequence the release notes (obviously based on the Jira tags)
> shows
> > many bugs/changes that are not present in the release.
> >
> > How do we fix this properly?
> >
> > Niels Basjes
> >

> > On Thu, Jun 1, 2017 at 3:55 AM, Suraj Acharya <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> >> It gives me great pleasure to announce the release of Avro 1.8.2!
> >>

> >> Changes are listed at: https://s.apache.org/avro-release-note-1.8.2
> >>

> >> This release can be downloaded from:
> >> https://www.apache.org/dyn/closer.cgi/avro/
> >>

> >> Java artifacts are available from Maven Central, Ruby artifacts are at
> >> RubyGems, Python is at PyPI, JS at NPM.
> >>

> >> Thanks to everyone for contributing and helping out.
> >>

> >> Suraj Acharya
> >>

> > --
> > Best regards / Met vriendelijke groeten,
> >
> > Niels Basjes

> busbey

Re: [Announce] Release of Avro-1.8.2

Gill, John
Who does the homebrew maintenance when new releases are made? It seems that the avro-c library is still the 1.8.1 code base. Would be nice if this was updated.

- John

Like Sean mentioned, changing the fixed version will help correcting the
Release Notes.
Once, we have some amount of fixes in, we can start making releases on a
cadence.

-Suraj Acharya

On Thu, Jun 1, 2017 at 10:47 AM, Sean Busbey <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Update the jira to not have 1.8.2 in the fix versions. If we want to
> get the changes in the 1.8 release line, I'd recommend reopening the
> issues and cherry-picking to branch-1.8 then setting 1.8.3 as a fix
> version.
>
> On Thu, Jun 1, 2017 at 4:20 AM, Niels Basjes <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I know now that while fixing the bugs I should have committed them to
> both
> > the master and the 1.8 branch instead of 'just the master'.
> > Just diffing the change log of master and the 1.8 branch shows that this
> > mistake is made quite a large number of times and in both directions.
> >
> > As a consequence the release notes (obviously based on the Jira tags)
> shows
> > many bugs/changes that are not present in the release.
> >
> > How do we fix this properly?
> >
> > Niels Basjes
> >

> > On Thu, Jun 1, 2017 at 3:55 AM, Suraj Acharya <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> >> It gives me great pleasure to announce the release of Avro 1.8.2!
> >>

> >> Changes are listed at: https://s.apache.org/avro-release-note-1.8.2
> >>

> >> This release can be downloaded from:
> >> https://www.apache.org/dyn/closer.cgi/avro/
> >>

> >> Java artifacts are available from Maven Central, Ruby artifacts are at
> >> RubyGems, Python is at PyPI, JS at NPM.
> >>

> >> Thanks to everyone for contributing and helping out.
> >>

> >> Suraj Acharya
> >>

> > --
> > Best regards / Met vriendelijke groeten,
> >
> > Niels Basjes
>

> --
> busbey

Re: [Announce] Release of Avro-1.8.2

Suraj Acharya-2
I have no idea about the Brew install.
If anyone has any idea please let me know, I will surely try to release it
there.
It's highly likely someone just uploaded it on their own.

Suraj

On Jun 19, 2017 12:08 PM, "Gill, John" <[hidden email]> wrote:

Who does the homebrew maintenance when new releases are made? It seems that
the avro-c library is still the 1.8.1 code base. Would be nice if this was
updated.

- John

Like Sean mentioned, changing the fixed version will help correcting the
Release Notes.
Once, we have some amount of fixes in, we can start making releases on a
cadence.

-Suraj Acharya

On Thu, Jun 1, 2017 at 10:47 AM, Sean Busbey <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Update the jira to not have 1.8.2 in the fix versions. If we want to
> get the changes in the 1.8 release line, I'd recommend reopening the
> issues and cherry-picking to branch-1.8 then setting 1.8.3 as a fix
> version.
>
> On Thu, Jun 1, 2017 at 4:20 AM, Niels Basjes <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I know now that while fixing the bugs I should have committed them to
> both
> > the master and the 1.8 branch instead of 'just the master'.
> > Just diffing the change log of master and the 1.8 branch shows that this
> > mistake is made quite a large number of times and in both directions.
> >
> > As a consequence the release notes (obviously based on the Jira tags)
> shows
> > many bugs/changes that are not present in the release.
> >
> > How do we fix this properly?
> >
> > Niels Basjes
> >

> > On Thu, Jun 1, 2017 at 3:55 AM, Suraj Acharya <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> >> It gives me great pleasure to announce the release of Avro 1.8.2!
> >>

> >> Changes are listed at: https://s.apache.org/avro-release-note-1.8.2
> >>

> >> This release can be downloaded from:
> >> https://www.apache.org/dyn/closer.cgi/avro/
> >>

> >> Java artifacts are available from Maven Central, Ruby artifacts are at
> >> RubyGems, Python is at PyPI, JS at NPM.
> >>

> >> Thanks to everyone for contributing and helping out.
> >>

> >> Suraj Acharya
> >>

> > --
> > Best regards / Met vriendelijke groeten,
> >
> > Niels Basjes

> busbey

Re: [Announce] Release of Avro-1.8.2

Gill, John
Suraj,
It looks like the following file just need to be updated with the 1.8.2 version:
https://github.com/Homebrew/homebrew-core/blob/master/Formula/avro-c.rb

- John

Like Sean mentioned, changing the fixed version will help correcting the
Release Notes.
Once, we have some amount of fixes in, we can start making releases on a
cadence.

-Suraj Acharya

On Thu, Jun 1, 2017 at 10:47 AM, Sean Busbey <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Update the jira to not have 1.8.2 in the fix versions. If we want to
> get the changes in the 1.8 release line, I'd recommend reopening the
> issues and cherry-picking to branch-1.8 then setting 1.8.3 as a fix
> version.
>
> On Thu, Jun 1, 2017 at 4:20 AM, Niels Basjes <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I know now that while fixing the bugs I should have committed them to
> both
> > the master and the 1.8 branch instead of 'just the master'.
> > Just diffing the change log of master and the 1.8 branch shows that this
> > mistake is made quite a large number of times and in both directions.
> >
> > As a consequence the release notes (obviously based on the Jira tags)
> shows
> > many bugs/changes that are not present in the release.
> >
> > How do we fix this properly?
> >
> > Niels Basjes
> >

> > On Thu, Jun 1, 2017 at 3:55 AM, Suraj Acharya <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> >> It gives me great pleasure to announce the release of Avro 1.8.2!
> >>

> >> Changes are listed at: https://s.apache.org/avro-release-note-1.8.2
> >>

> >> This release can be downloaded from:
> >> https://www.apache.org/dyn/closer.cgi/avro/
> >>

> >> Java artifacts are available from Maven Central, Ruby artifacts are at
> >> RubyGems, Python is at PyPI, JS at NPM.
> >>

> >> Thanks to everyone for contributing and helping out.
> >>

> >> Suraj Acharya
> >>

> > --
> > Best regards / Met vriendelijke groeten,
> >
> > Niels Basjes
>

> --
> busbey

Re: [Announce] Release of Avro-1.8.2

Suraj Acharya-2
Thanks.
I will look into it in the next few days and try to submit a patch.
In the meantime if someone else has time feel free to update that value.

Thanks once again

Suraj